Pages

Monday, September 23, 2013

Review: Covet by Tracey Garvis-Graves


Title: Covet
Author: Tracey Garvis-Graves
Format: egalley
Pub. Date: September 17th 2013
Source: Netgalley and Penguin Group

★★★★★

Five stars.

Claire always thought that her marriage could overcome it all. She had a great life to be thankful for. A nice house, two beautiful, healthy children, and a husband who worked hard to provide for the family. Even when Chris is out of work for nearly a year, he and Claire weather through the "for worse" part of their wedding vows as Chris spirals into a dark depression that not even Claire can help to brighten. But things grow more complicated when Chris accepts a new job that has him traveling so much that the kids- as well as Claire- become more accustomed to life without him than with him. Tensions grow higher when Claire befriends a ridiculously attractive police officer named Daniel while doing some design work for his department. He listens to her, spends time with her, and gives her the attention that Chris has long ago stopped spending on her. She loves Chris, and loves spending time with Daniel, but is she willing to risk it all by breaking her lifelong vow to her husband?

-----

Tracey Garvis Graves- you have done it again you beautiful writer you. Covet, with its hauntingly insightful prose, has launched this author onto my auto-buy list.

+The writing itself is gorgeous. Tracey Garvis Graves has this great ability of creating a sad, almost ominous tone throughout the book, even when happy moments were happening. The details are well written and almost enchanting- it is very easy to lose yourself completely in this story.

+I thought the characters and their development were both realistic and relatable. I think that everyone in a relationship, at one time or another (and whether they'd like to admit it or not), has thought about what would happen if they were to cheat on their partner. The author of this book delivers a great representation of the many emotions that arise in a failing marriage and a tempting new friendship, from confusion, adoration, heartbreak, lust, and everything in between. There's also a very interesting group of side characters that kept me curious throughout the story.

+This book is written from three alternate points of view, rotating between Claire (the protagonist), Chris (the working husband), and Daniel (the hot cop). Though I'm normally not a big fan of changing POVs, Covet uses this technique perfectly. I was never left confused or wondering who was narrating.

+I really, really liked Claire. I like that she had a flaw, being diabetic. It added another layer of complexity to the book, but also made her seem a bit more human, and fragile. Too often I read books with ridiculously perfect characters that blend together. Claire stands out to me. She's also a great friend and mother, without being overly matronly or sickeningly sweet. I rarely connect to female characters, despite being female, but I was by Claire's side every step of the way.

+I enjoy that this book has romance in it without being too vulgar or crass. It's more like a gentle tease and I find that in stories like this, that is a far better approach.

+Look at that cover. Just look at it. Stunning.

-The only real criticism that I have about this book is that I would have liked more insight from Chris and Daniel. I'd have liked to see more of their thoughts and learned more about their motives and feelings. I completely understand why there were more Claire chapters, but I'd have liked a bit more.

All in all, Covet is a book that is worth every bit as much hype as her earlier book, On the Island, received. It takes a gritty, ever-present topic and brings it to the reader in a gorgeously sad way. I cried at the end with no shame, and I hope to read more from her in the future. (Especially if she chooses to give the other wives in this story a moment to shine.)

Thank you so very much to Netgalley and Penguin Group for my copy.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds really great. And the cover is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally got to pick up a physical copy, and it's even more pretty in person.

      Delete
  2. After reading On the Island, I knew that I would want Covet when it came out, and this review has only made me want it more! I'm excited that the characters have flaws, it's a refreshing change from the seemingly perfect characters in a lot of books. Plush the cover is super gorgeous. I need this on my shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got an ARC of Covet, and it's been on the bottom of my long tbr pile for awhile. I think I should dust it off and give it a chance. It sounds like you really enjoyed it.

    Aly @ My Heart Hearts Books

    ReplyDelete