Pages

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Review: Cherry Money Baby


Title: Cherry Money Baby
Author: John M. Cusick
Format: egalley
Pub. Date: September 10th 2013
Source: Netgalley/Candlewick Press

★★★

Three stars.

Cherry is a typical small town girl. She lives in a trailer with her dad and brother. She works at a local fast food place where she is the best damn burrito roller in the business. And, she has a sweetheart who lives right next door. She never really gave much thought about the rich and famous, until a celebrity causes her world to change in a whirlwind. Cherry has to decide on what she really wants in life, and with who.

----

This was an okay book, it just wasn't what I expected.

+I did like that Cherry was proud and content with her small town life. It was a nice change from the trend of books lately, where those from the sticks long and dream about life in the city or about a life of fame and fortune. I also appreciated that she had quite the vulgar mouth on her. I swear too, and I think it's weird when books with characters who SHOULD be swearing don't.

-I just didn't really connect with any of the characters. They weren't badly written or vaguely described or anything, I just personally didn't seem to particularly root for any of them. Cherry kind of irked me a bit because she kept referring to herself as a crazy girl- kind of a red flag in my opinion.

-The ending left a lot to be desired. It seemed a bit too predictable. Though this story did have an original plot line, I did feel like a lot of the elements were a bit on the predictable side as a whole.

This wasn't a bad book. It has some really funny moments, and a strong female lead who is vocal and proud of where she comes from. It just didn't connect with me and won't be a book that I remember as time passes. I think a lot more people will like it way better than I did, so check this book out for yourself.

Thank you to Netgalley/Candlewick Press for my copy.

2 comments:

  1. This doesn't quite sound like the book for me, though some aspects about it seem intriguing. Perhaps I can borrow it sometime when my TBR list dwindles down a bit lol

    ReplyDelete