Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella


★★★★★

Five stars.

I won a copy of this through Goodreads First-Reads, and I couldn't have been more excited. I'm a big fan of Kinsella's work, and her latest novel, I've Got Your Number, did not disappoint.

Physiotherapist Poppy Wyatt is the star of this story, and I find her completely relatable. At the beginning of the story, she's in a panic- she's lost her engagement ring, a priceless family heirloom. It's simply gone, without a trace. And to make matters worse, someone comes along and steals her phone. Upset and desperate, a silver lining appears. There, in the trash bin, lies a cell phone. After a brief discussion with herself, she picks it up and quickly learns that it once belonged to businessman Sam Roxton's personal assistant.

Through a series of circumstances, Sam allows her to "borrow" the phone for a while, so that she may locate her ring. Plus, she needs to be in constant contact with her husband-to-be Magnus, and her next to useless wedding planner, Lucinda. But the ring is most important- Magnus' family consists of famed scholars, all of whom look down on Poppy (not to mention the marriage). What will they think of her now, once they find out that she is irresponsible in addition to not good enough for their son?

Chaos, hilarity, drama, and romance all circle around her as she continues to read (and eventually forward, of course) Sam's personal messages. She intimately learns him, by getting this rare insight to his life. She never intended to read his messages, but it's a good thing she did- a few random texts that she didn't give much thought to may just save her new awkward text buddy's neck.

Of course, will Poppy feel the same level of happiness, once Sam reads her own messages and sneaks into her personal life?

I found this book to be charmingly awkward and hilarious. I couldn't put it down! With each turn of the page I found myself wondering what would happen next. I think this novel is a brilliant way of expressing modern romance, in the age of technology that most of us can't live without. I recommend this to any fan of chick lit, funny romances, or anyone who is as dependent on text messaging as I am!

0 comments:

Post a Comment