Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky


★★★★★

Five stars.

Charlie is a wallflower. He blends into the crowd, and observes life as it happens around him. Written in letter format to an unknown person, Charlie tells stories from his high school life and the people who make a difference in it. There's Brad, the lovable closeted best friend. Sam is the girl that means the world to him, despite her flaws. His English teacher, family, and a few other friends in his clique make appearances, and each one in turn shapes his life. He tells tales of love, sex, drugs, and music in a narrative that's both heartbreaking and vivid, and is something that everyone can relate to.

-----

I cannot begin to explain this book and how I feel about it. It has been a favorite for a long time, and I first read it in junior high. I'm in college now, and I thought it was time to reread it (especially with the movie coming out), and perhaps see if I had outgrown it. I'm glad to say, I didn't. I've only taken more away from it. I think everyone needs to read this book, and I sincerely hope that you love it as much as I do. I cannot recommend it enough.

It's detailed and emotionally charged. I found myself both laughing with Charlie and crying with him. Old stories from my own high school days were conjured up, and I couldn't help but to look back at my memories and look at them in a new light, when seen with his tone in mind.

0 comments:

Post a Comment